With business more international than ever, more and more people are considering taking the leap to relocating themselves for a new job opportunity. Exotic and exciting places are in reach for people now with global and even SME companies looking for international talent to bring their business to offer something different to local options.
BUT, It is so much more than just a job. Relocation should not been taken lightly! Live the dream not the nightmare
The draw of sun, sea and sand as a work environment sounds great to even the palest amongst us however things do need to be considered before making your jump. I’ve listed my top 5 things to think/research about before relocating.
- Don’t look at the number, look at the place- Depending on where you are moving too, cost of living will fluctuate which means so will your salary. Housing, bills and shopping all will differ from your home country. Research the city/country!
- Consider the Family- I could have written an entire blog on family so I’ll try and keep it brief! Make sure your family is happy with the move. Sounds like a very obvious one but you would be amazed the amount of people who leave this until last. You don’t want to find your dream job only to find that you need to reject because the family is not keen on the setting, location or even temperature!
- Apartment on the beach- Accommodation is a huge part of your daily life and when making this decision you should not take this lightly. Do not think that because where are relocating has a beach that that’s where you will be living. Look at the cost of rent or how easy it is to obtain a mortgage.
- Accident Insurance- Don’t leave yourself short. Most of the time Medical Cover is provided by the organisation however what most people don’t check is what this actually covers you for or who is under the policy. Do not chance or take for granted medical cover as given. Take this from who has spent over 2 weeks in hospital abroad- more is always better!
- Understand the culture- Cultural fit is something of a recruitment buzzword nowadays, organisations constantly saying that cultural fit is the most important thing to the role and this should be in your thoughts. Moving to a country, city or town is a big step and in most cases is a drastic change in your normal life. Ask the business/recruiter to speak to some local guys to understand how things operate over there and is there any major change in what you’re used to.
Here at Tangent we pride ourselves on having relocated talent across 177 countries for over 45 years. We understand and have seen pretty much every scenario and outcome from candidates and client alike. Above are just 5 things to consider but of course there any many more.
If you are looking to relocate in the future or have always been hesitant but want to find out how this process can be very smooth, please get in touch today!